We grow thornless varieties of blackberry including Navajo, Oachita and Osage. They are usually ripe from mid June through mid July. Our blackberries are USDA Certitied Organic by Quality Certification Services.
How to Pick Blackberries
- Pick the fattest berries, which will be dull black in color.
- Ripe berries come off easily – you should not have to tug.
- Look inside the plant and under the leaves as well as outside.
When You Get Home:
- Refrigerate your berries as soon as possible. Blackberries are the most perishable of the temperate fruits.
- Refrigerate blackberries in an airtight container with a paper towel to absorb moisture.
- Do not wash blackberries until you are ready to use them.
- Do not wash blackberries before freezing. If you do wash them, you can dry or freeze on a cookie sheet before packaging for long-term storage.