Our blackberry season usually runs from late June til early July, depending on weather. All our blackberries are pick-your-own. We do not have pre-picked.
Picking Hours and Price for 2018:
Wednesdays and Saturdays
7 a.m. – 12 noon
Please always call us (919-544-3313) or check our facebook page before you come. Sometimes we have to change our hours due to rain.
Our blackberry patch is small, and we are often picked out early. However blackberries ripen quickly: we will have another delicious crop by our next picking day.
Our blackberries are grown using only natural materials. We will seek organic certification for our blackberries after our transition period.
How to Pick Blackberries
- Pick the fattest berries, which will be dull black in color.
- Ripe berries come off easily – you should not have to tug.
- Look inside the plant and under the leaves as well as outside.
When You Get Home:
- Refrigerate your berries as soon as possible. Blackberries are the most perishable of the temperate fruits.
- Refrigerate blackberries in an airtight container with a paper towel to absorb moisture.
- Do not wash blackberries until you are ready to use them.
- Do not wash blackberries before freezing. If you do wash them, you can dry or freeze on a cookie sheet before packaging for long-term freezing.